Sunday, June 25, 2006

Episode 12: Money, Socks and Your Comments

This week, I point out my tip jar (under links on the right side of this page), talk about converting sock patterns from top-down to toe-up, and respond to some comments and e-mails.

A shorter show, but I still managed to mess up a few times. I got ahead of myself with both the geometric knitting, which I'm not ready to tell you about and tessellated knitting, which I can't find anywhere. Tessellated quilting, yes. Tessellated knitting, no. If I do either dig that up or make that up, I'll let you know.

There is a little cursing in this show. So, if you don't want to hear the "B" word, please don't listen to the bit about Professor Martini.

Some "if, then" statements.
If you are knitting too tightly, then a new cast on from knittinghelp.com might assist you.

If you are looking for books, then Add All might help.

Carry from KnitWit kindly reminded me that she did mention the thickness of the yarn in her ease discussion of episode 20 of her show. Also, if that is the only show of hers you've heard, you should try some others. Usually, her stories are much more fun, lighthearted and funny than the one in that show. That story was very well told, as are all of hers, but it was a bit sad.

Carry also pointed me to some mathematical crochet.

Which means that I finally have something to lead into Dr. Sarah-Marie Belcastro and her wonderful mathematical knitting (and problem solving tips and teal hair and...). The knitting bit is here.

Download Episode Twelve

6 comments:

profbookwurmknits said...

another wonderful podcast
thank you

Anonymous said...

Hi

I'm really enjoying your shows. I listen to them on my way to work.
A quick hint if you're knitting is too tight, make sure your needles are clean and polished. Wash them (careful if they're wood or bamboo) in warm water and apply furniture polish or show wax and give them a good polish with a soft duster. If you don't wash your hair every day or use a lot of dressing, try rubbing your knitting needle in your hair at the end of each row, keeps them nice and smooth (I think my gran used to do this).

math4knitters said...

Thank you for your comments. They really make doing the podcast worthwhile. I'm going to start "answering" comments more. I heard a podcaster say that blogs should really be conversations and, yeah, that sounds right to me. This week, no show, because I'm going to spend the weekend with my family. See you next week!

-Lara

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara,
Thanks so much for answering my comments. You're a great Podcaster! I know that some of your listeners don't like music podcasts, but please think about doing an episode with music. The KnitTunes podcast is not being updated any more!
Thanks for your podcast. Happy Knitting!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to what you said about algebra and calculus being easier (or more intuitive) than geometry. I love your show!

Knitting Rose said...

Ok - where is there a pattern for a klein bottle - that is just too cool.