Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Still Kickin'

I can't tell you about this project, yet. I'm sworn to secrecy until sometime next year. But, I can tell you I did get to be a part of something that's bigger than I am, and I used my camera. 

I bought my little Nikon D100 way back in 2004. It has held up through professional use at a newspaper (tough on every piece of gear) and even my honeymoon (I kind of dropped it, but I caught it by the lens. Tough luck for the lens.)

It's not the fastest, it doesn't shoot the biggest files, there's no pc input for studio strobes and it doesn't make videos. There are many like it, but this one is mine. 

...and I still love it!

I also really liked the project. You know you had a good day when someone pays you and you think "Oh, wait, I'm getting PAID for this? Great!" It's a pretty good feeling.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Random Colorwork Inspiration

These are all from a nice but ordinary hotel room. I love toying with ideas for knit stuff with these shapes/colors, even though I have no idea when or for what reason I am likely to use them. Anyway, great two-color schemes, no?

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

A Little Green Sweater

A few months ago, the charming Lore (I assume she is, she looks charming on Ravelry) knit up my Keys to the Castle Baby Sweater. It's still one of my all-time favorite designs, and I asked her if it was ok for me to use her project photo on my blog. She said "yes" and also included these notes.

"I modified a few things. First the contrast color I used was some leftover yarn and I wasn’t sure how far it would go. So I didn’t do the vertical stripes on the arms (although I still kept the CC cuffs). I also wasn’t sure if there would be enough of it for the front bands so I picked those up after I finished everything else. If I hadn’t had enough CC I would have picked up bands in the MC.

Second, I detest knitting I-cord and avoid it at all costs. So I decided to go with buttons instead.

Thanks for the pattern. I had fun knitting it. Out little baby boy should be arriving in June, although he’ll have some growing to do still before he gets to wear it."

There have been some photos of an adorable baby boy on her Ravelry page, so it looks like it all worked out!

Friday, June 27, 2014

Grungy Basement and 16 Handknit Socks

Sorry for showing you my grungy basement. Hey, it's dry and functional, and that's really all I ask. But, I am very grateful for the little green bar someone hung up there a while ago. It's the perfect spot to hang 16 socks to dry at once!

My sis bought me that little octopus years ago at Ikea. I love it to bits.

So, I haven't dropped off the face if the earth, and I've been knitting socks.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Little Spinning

I'm still trying to figure things out, but life is getting closer to normal. Which means, when my awesome sister sends me beautiful Coopworth wool dyed with indigo from the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, I can spin some of it without everything else going off the rails. 

So, I did. Hooray! I can't wait to ply it. (In return, I sent her some Ply magazines, and she loved them! You might, too. Go check them out.) 

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sometimes I Agree With Travis

Things are starting to settle down now, but it will probably be a while before things feel normal. I don't remember having this much trouble getting a house put back together before. Then again, maybe I'm feeling more pressure because I have more happening in other areas of my life than I did. I love the new direction my career is taking, but it is definitely a different kind of headspace.

Some days, I agree with my little scaredy-cat Travis.

I like it under the covers. It's nice there.

One thing I haven't found: the hard drive with all of the Journal Gazette Crafty Living patterns on it. I might have to spend some serious time downloading pdfs in the next few weeks! That will teach me not to back up to the cloud.

Monday, May 12, 2014

Modeknit Socks: Finished!

We bought a house! And moved into it! And now I have to climb over boxes to get to the coffee, but that's ok. 

Moving is a lot of work, but I'm excited about making a home again. Our apartment was really just a badly-jumbled collection of STUFF, not a real home. 

One thing that has helped with the craziness is my lovely pair of Modeknit socks. I knit a lot of plain, black socks. I'll admit - at first, those snazzy pops of color kind of freaked me out. But, I'm absolutely in love with them and I get a real kick out of seeing them on my feet. 

The pattern is unpublished but is based on a set of patterns I hope you will all be able to see before the end of 2014. 

I'm going to try to get back to blogging regularly. But, until all of the boxes are gone, I don't think it will be every day.